One of the first things I was asked when I got back, was did I enjoy it? The truthful answer to that is no, not at all. It was by far and away the hardest thing I've ever done physically, and that is before you add in other circumstances such as the weather. Cycling through France for two days with the wind and rain driving in your face is not fun, especially when you can't even take refuge in your own tent (and everyone else seems to have support vans and warmth). I think I've been put off camping for life! It already seems like a lifetime ago, and even during the journey, it didn't always feel as if we were actually doing it, it was a very strange few days.
Having said that, I'm extremely glad I've done it, and it was definitely a worthwhile experience! It was ultimately relief that I felt when we arrived under the Eiffel Tower, but knowing that we had made it made the pain and rain (mostly) worth it. Despite everything, there are still good memories to take away: meeting people along the way was great, we got to visit Paris, and I still can't believe our only puncture came on Amy's mountain bike tires!
Add to this that we made our £500 sponsorship target (thankyou so much to everyone who sponsored us!) and it is definitely an unforgettable experience, that I'm glad I had, even if I will be in no hurry to do anything like it again soon!
Thursday, 29 August 2013
A very surreal experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the video, especially when you went over the cobbles! Very well done, sounds like one of those experiences that are hell at the time but that you will remember for lots of good reasons for the rest of your life! Very character forming.....
ReplyDelete